Server monitoring software is used to make sure that a server is active, healthy, and responding to requests properly. Server monitoring detects performance server issues, before they do harm for the server.
Server monitoring software lets you check both basic server uptime and detailed usage statistics on all types of servers, including:
- database server ( Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, ODBC)
- web servers ( Linux,Windows,etc)
- application servers
- FTP servers
- mail servers
- smtp and dns servers
With the help of server monitor a user gets complete visibility of workstations and servers, and ensure their availability and health. Instant notifications help administrator quickly identify the related problems and, for example, reduce server load and so prevent a server downtime.
Server monitoring software (for example, Nagios, Zabbix or IPHost Network Monitor) may perform a Windows/Linux server health check including both server availability and performance analysis, using various check types:
- ping, tcp;
When server becomes unavailable the monitoring software will send instant notifications via SMS, e-mail, and other means which can prevent serious server problem for the server administrator.
Using Remote Network Monitoring Agents (a program that is installed on a server or workstation located in remote network) it is possible to perform checking servers in multiple locations from one place. With Remote Network Agent you can monitor all types of monitors (SNMP, WMI, HTTP, Oracle, PING and many more).
Server monitor tools can be also used to check CPU load parameters, free disk space, or memory usage, and to monitor the ports of routers and switches using SNMP.
Benefits of server monitoring
- Easily configure monitoring for hundreds of servers/devices at the same time
- Secure monitoring of DMZs (demilitarized zones) and remote offices from a central Console, without a VPN, without agents on every server, and without holes in the remote firewall
- 24/7 server control from home or on the road as easily as from the office
- Instant monitoring reports and alerts help you stay on top of your IT infrastructure without manual monitoring
Users can monitor many types of server and network resources using the following server monitors types: